Monday, February 11, 2013

The School - Home Relationship


               Today I felt compelled to post about the importance of a strong school and home relationship when it comes to learning.  When I think back on my own elementary and secondary school years, one memory in particular stands out.  In ninth grade, I recall my immediate and extended family all coming to show support for my role in the class play.  We were putting on a performance of S.E. Hinton’s The Outsiders, and I had a crucial role in the play, as well as the responsibility of narrating.  I can still vividly recall, prior to the start of the show, standing backstage, behind the theater curtain, stealing glimpses of my family members walking into the school auditorium and taking their seats in the audience.  Everyone was there: my grandparents, aunts and uncles, my brothers, and even a few of my cousins.  After the show ended and the theater lights came back on, I can still picture my family members standing together and showing their support.  Afterward, my family joined the cast and me for a school sanctioned after party, where they had a chance to meet the drama teacher/director, as well as many of the school administrators.  I think the reason I remember this particular occasion so vividly is due to the importance I assigned to it.  In addition to that, it was an experience shared by my family and the school.  What can I take from this as a prospective teacher?  I think what’s most important is that when communication is good, and family and schools come together, it can be a very powerful experience for the student.  It’s these experiences that children retain for a lifetime and never forget.  I hope to really get to know my students and develop strong relationships with their families, so that we can all work together to benefit the children.  In this way, I can instill lasting memories in the minds of my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment